lunes, 29 de junio de 2015

BUILDING A BRIDGE BETWEEN COLOMBIA & AUSTRALIA...

June 2015 saw my second journey to Colombia, but this time I was on my own (well sort-of!). Well physically but with a great support network and a very rigid program.

I was in Colombia only for less than 10 days. I joined a complete stranger, until two weeks before my trip, with his wife, family and friends, and spent my only Sunday evening at the opening of the 9th Cali International Ballet Festival – a wonderful evening of magnificent artistry and a night when not speaking Spanish really meant very little. I was hosted by Peter Martin (IHQ Group). In spite of the rain I had found a soul mate. Naturally you want to work with people like Peter. This is typical of the spirit I found in Colombia – proud of their country, want to grow and happy to work with new partners.

Having been to Colombia in December –February, 2014-15, I knew Colombia was a land of great investment opportunity and highly complementary to Australia in the products produced and even the major commodity exports. I also knew most of the people I would need speak with could speak English not only at a social level but also with a wide business understanding. I was met openly and warmly.
The pillars for meaningful discussions were in place:

·        ProColombia wanted to see action
·        AusTrade could see the demand for Australian technical and financial skills
·        Australian Colombia Chamber of Commerce was ready to assist.
·        Banco of Bogota and Banco de Occidente could see different opportunities
People are people but the majority of Colombian’s understood someone who had travelled from Australia was there to do business. It did not hurt that on my way I had met with Juan Sebastian Bargans Ballesteros (ProColombia) Executive Director – South East Asia and Oceania of ProColombia. Sadly for the Australian Trade he is based in Jakarta.
Having met with Juan Sebastian my program firmed-up with key meetings with 4 executives of Bancoldex (lead by Mauro Sartori Randazzo  Vice President de Riesgo - Chief Risk Officer and Margarita M Coronado Gomez, Director of Private Equity Funds). I got most of my questions answered and have commenced what I hope will be a mutually beneficial dialogue. I was also warmly received by Jose Ramirez Arbelaez ProColombia’s Trade Adviser.
The team at AusTrade led by Crispin Conroy were most helpful and I valued his counsel.
I need to record my thanks also to Carlos Hernando Diaz Quijano (Fiduciarai Bogota) and Alejandro Hoyos Vallejo (Banco de Occidente) both of who made meeting with third parties possible and support my participation. There are clear opportunities for me in the financial services area. This was a major part of my mission to Colombia with a big tick.

At this point it would inappropriate to name any specific names but my meetings on the investment banking part of my journey, as a director of Linchpin Capital Group, found people keen to diversify their investment into Australia and those keen to work with me to move forward with new opportunities (port expansion, coal fired power stations and rice mills to name a few). It was pleasing to hear that Australia was respected for its technical/engineering skills and its education of Colombian youth.

I was able to confirm we are exploring a number of opportunities in funds management and corporate advisory which excited my associates back in Australia even before I returned to Australia. The parties I met knew what I needed to see.
I found a number of Colombians keen to develop exciting export opportunities in areas was wide apart as leather goods, frozen fruit, confectionary and high fashion. The parties were clear in their wishes and know their capacity. Conversations continue and we expect more than conversations in a few short weeks.

The Colombians are a little concerned that there is some substance to the wise man form across the Pacific, but once it was clear that I wasn’t trying to be all things to all people and there was a common humanity especially we are wanted to do long-term sustainable business there was a recognition the opportunity the visit offered.

Since I have returned to Australia the dialogue has continued and the ideas and getting clarity and form.

Long term business need time and commitment. We all need to accept “calls” outside usual business hours and think smart.

The journey with Colombia will need more visits and return visits will breed confidence.


I owe a debt to my associates at Linchpin Capital who said “go for it” and to Carmenza who set up my program.

PAUL ANTHONY RAFTERY
paul.raftery@kzagroup.com.au

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario